Saturday, January 3, 2009

Movie Review

So Chris and I just finished watching a documentary that I feel compelled to share with you all.    Most of you know I have a strong desire to be a midwife and will one day go back to school to do so.  "The Business of Being Born" is a well made, incredibly informational documentary on labor and delivery in the United States.  I'm not trying to stand on a soap box but I feel like every woman considering having a baby should watch this.  
  In my experience, which I admit is somewhat limited, the depiction they give of a hospital birth is not far from the truth.  Not EVERY birth is like their depiction but I would say at least half of the births I've seen were.  I've also never seen a home delivery so I cannot speak to that.  I do however have two friends that went to birthing centers.  One was able to deliver there and the other after over 30 hours of labor had to go to the hospital for a Cesarean section.  Both enjoyed their experiences and plan on staying with midwives.  One just delivered baby number two at home and the other is 5 months pregnant.  I honestly can't tell you what I'll choose to do when I'm pregnant and searching for a practitioner but I've always loved the idea of a midwife and a natural birth (probably at a birthing center).  Please watch it with an open mind.

No comments: